The MIDI signal is generated by the USAMO software, a plug-in which runs as a virtual instrument (AU/VST/AAX, Mac & Windows), as audio in your DAW. The DAW sends MIDI to the plug-in; the plug-in translates that to audio and sends it to the USAMO hardware, via an output on your computer's audio interface. The USAMO then reconstructs the MIDI and outputs it on a standard 5 pin DIN MIDI socket.
In addition to MIDI note and controller data from the DAW, the USAMO software also generates MIDI clock, Song Position Pointer etc. It can also handle Sysex.
Because the MIDI signals are generated and transported as audio, they are guaranteed to be sample-accurately synced with your audio, and free of the jitter often associated with computer-generated MIDI.Silent Way and the ESX-8MD module, but now in a standalone box, and from an analogue audio connection (the ESX-8MD requires a Eurorack housing and a digital audio connection).
The USAMO's specifications are as follows:
- Input: 1/4" audio jack socket, accepts balanced or unbalanced signals
- Output: standard 5 pin DIN MIDI socket
- Controls: 'Trim' pot
- Indicators: 'Power', 'Clip', 'Activity'
- Power requirements: 9V DC @ 7mA, external PSU (not included)
- Power connector: 2.1mm barrel socket, positive or negative tip
- Aluminium box, 108x80x44mm (4.25" x 3.15" x 1.73") (1U high, approximately quarter rack width)
For more detail, please see the user manual.
Also, please refer to the USAMO compatibility page to see if there are any notes specific to your audio interface.
Pricing & Availablity
The USAMO is available now.
MSRP: UK £119 (inclusive of VAT), US $139 (exclusive of sales tax), EU €115.53 (exclusive of VAT)
For purchasing links, please see Where To Buy.