fac·to·tum (noun) /fækˈtəʊ.təm/ A person having many diverse activities or responsibilities1
The FH-2 is an 8HP Eurorack module combining the following functions:
- MIDI to CV conversion including polyphonic and MPE operation.
- The FH-2 is simultaneously a USB MIDI host, a USB MIDI device, and also supports traditional 5-pin DIN/TRS MIDI.
- Support for drum triggers including triggers with velocity or accents.
- Support for automatic VCO calibration (similar to that in Silent Way).
- Clock generation and synchronisation.
- MIDI clock (in and out), analogue clock (in and out), or internal clock (BPM or tap tempo).
- LFO generation, including tempo-synced LFOs.
- Euclidean pattern generators.
- CV to MIDI conversion.
- Preset storage.
- Simply by storing a constant voltage for each output, the FH-2 can serve the function of a dedicated preset recall module.
The FH-2 has 8 high precision CV outputs, expandable to 64 with the FHX-8CV Expander. Up to 64 additional gate/trigger/clock outputs can also be added with the FHX-8GT Gate Expander, for a possible total of 128 outputs.
The module can be completely configured via its own UI, but a convenient web-based configuration tool is also available here, which communicates with the module directly via MIDI SysEx.
With a MIDI keyboard
Up to 16 note polyphonic conversion, with optional pitch/gate/velocity etc. CVs per note. Also features arpeggiation, keyboard splits and more.
With an MPE controller
Up to 16 simultaneous touches converted with full position/pressure/glide etc. per touch.
With a MIDI controller
Up to 64 outputs. Direct control of CVs from faders, flexible and syncable LFOs, triggers from pads etc.
With a 'groovebox'
Multiple clock outs at different divisions, run/stop triggers etc. Groovebox, FH-2, or another module can be the clock master.
With a computer/tablet/phone
All of the above, plus SysEx for configuration of the FH-2.
As a clock generator
The FH-2 can operate as the clocking centre of your modular, also generating (syncable) LFOs, with no USB connection.
|The FH-2 was reviewed by MusicRadar - read the full article here.
When reviewing gear we want to see if the device in question encourages creative freedom and it’s very clear that, while it makes no sound at all, the FH-2 is definitely one module that enhances creative output.
|Video review by Color My Sound:
||(Polish version here)|
|The FH-2 was reviewed by c't magazine (musik kreativ special 2018).
"Nahezu konkurrenzlos ... Die Möglichkeiten sind immens" ("Almost unrivaled at present ... The possibilities are immense" via Google Translate)
The FH-2's specifications are as follows:
- Panel width: 8HP
- Module depth: 48mm
- Current draw: 118mA on the +12V rail, 48mA on the -12V rail
- plus the power requirement of any attached USB device. See the manual for information on calculating the current draw on the +12V rail from the USB device.
- Outputs: 8
- Digital-to-analogue conversion: 14 bit
- Voltage range: software selectable between ±5V, 0-10V
- Inputs: 2 CV inputs
- USB host:
- Type A connector
- Class Compliant USB MIDI host.
- Class Compliant USB HID host (for mice, gamepads etc.).
- Supports USB hubs.
- USB device:
- Type C connector
- Class Compliant USB MIDI device (plug'n'play with macOS, Windows, Linux and iOS).
- Controls: 1 rotary encoder (with push button), 1 push button
- 0.91" OLED display
For more detail, please see the user manual.
Pricing & Availablity
The FH-2 is available now.
MSRP: UK £269 (inclusive of VAT), US $309 (exclusive of sales tax), EU €261.16 (exclusive of VAT)
For purchasing links, please see Where To Buy.