Rough Trade East WorkshopOn June 1st Expert Sleepers conducted a workshop at the Schneidersladen Testsalon (in the Rough Trade East music store in East London).
We videoed it, but sadly this is a single static camera pointed at the presenter - no view of the modular or screencast from the laptop. Still, if you want a general spoken overview of the Expert Sleepers software and hardware, as a change from reading specs or reviews, you could do worse than watch some of this.
Part 1. Subjects covered include:
- Basic software usage with a DC-coupled interface.
- Use of the ES-3 for audio.
- Use of the Voice Controller plug-in with the ES-3 module.
- Silent Way LFO and Step LFO plug-ins.
- Silent Way Quantizer & calibration files.
Part 2. Subjects covered include:
- The expander modules (ES-5, ESX-8GT, ESX-4CV).
- Using the expanders to trigger drum modules.
- Silent Way Sync.
- The input modules (ES-6 & 7).
- Recording and processing CVs in the computer.
- Max/MSP externals.
Ableton LiveDownload example Live sets:
In these sets, the audio from the synth is assumed to be coming in on input 3, and the CV outputs from the interface are assumed to be outputs 3-8. Change the assignments in Live according to your setup. On a MOTU Ultralite interface, 'input 3' in Live is the Ultralite's Input 3, and 'outputs 3-8' in Live are the Ultralite's Outputs 1-6 (sine the Ultralite's Main Outs are Live channels 1-2).
Basic setup in Live:
This video shows how to set up Silent Way Voice Controller in Logic:
This video shows the Voice Controller running in DP7: